Anyone else stop drinking on Ozempic?

Hong Kong Yanpep International
The alcohol craving switch is one of the most consistent unintended benefits people report - the impulse control effect shows up well before significant weight loss for most.
 
Starting yours while your husband hasn't filled his prescription yet and him drinking 6-7 cans of Coke a day is a useful pair of data points for the OP's thread. The reward quieting effect that people report for alcohol and caffeine applies to sugar and soda as well - the same mechanism. If he starts, the Coke consumption is worth watching as an early signal of whether the medication is doing anything.
 
My provider actually stepped me down from .5 to .25 since the smaller amount was handling my blood sugar just fine. Funny you bring up losing the taste for alcohol, I gave up drinking entirely not long after starting Ozempic and haven't felt any pull to go back. Now and then on a hot day I'll grab a non-alcoholic beer and that scratches the itch completely.
 
Personally I've noticed this medication (technically the higher-dose weight-loss version, same drug though) has cut way back on my drinking. Pretty much strictly a vacation drinker these days, could easily stretch six months or more before touching a drop again. When I do have one though, no noticeable difference. Admittedly a lightweight given how rarely I drink, but beyond that never dealt with nausea or stomach trouble from it. Same as a good chunk of what gets reported here as side effects, honestly seems to trace back mostly to hydration levels. Stay hydrated and you're generally fine. Just don't skip water and then go overboard drinking.
 
My 1mg starts fading out by day three. That's when cravings kick back in for me. My doctor prescribed Phentermine alongside it to help manage that. Ran out and honestly not sure I want to pick it back up. Lol. Been looking into higher Ozempic strengths and noticed a 2mg option exists. Got a checkup coming soon, planning to bring it up with my doctor then.
 
Kept drinking through my time on Ozempic. Never got the usual buzz, which sometimes meant overdoing it and ending up sick, throwing up more than once. A year later I moved over to Mounjaro, alcohol hasn't crossed my lips since. Zero desire for it now.
 
Drinking was never big for me, yet alcohol has lost all appeal since Ozempic. That gut-brain link fascinates me. Jumping straight in at 1mg rather than working through the .25 and .5 steps invites wild side effects, whereas a low start with gradual increases keeps them manageable. My injections go in the thigh, side effects weren't too bad and were completely gone by 5 weeks (overeating still makes me queasy, mind you).
 
I'm almost 8 weeks into Ozempic and my urge for alcohol has nearly vanished. Beforehand my drinking was clearly excessive. Could be luck, yet my one side effect is acid reflux, when acidic foods or sweets are on my plate. My tip is get enough protein and fiber.
 
Ozempic truly changed my life. I started it because of obesity, though I was also a functional alcoholic in denial and could not admit it then. Saxenda, the daily shot, made me so sick, like weeks of flu and constant nausea. Switching to Ozempic brought no symptoms, and my desire for alcohol vanished instantly. Even the smell on others turned my stomach. Nearly 3 years on GLP1 now (a small maintenance dose of Wegovy), I have maybe one or two social drinks, extremely rarely, and no desire. Before, I drank every day, sometimes all day. The way this drug works is wild
 
I'm on ozempic and sadly I'm free to eat and drink nearly anything! I cut alcohol drastically, but on special occasions I feel nothing. I haven't lost much either (7 kilos over roughly seven months) despite being on 1.5mg! I diet and exercise (though I've had to ease off because of a stress fracture).
 
Back
Top