Fiber a must on GLP-1s?

Hong Kong Yanpep International

Donut

Well-known member
Anyone else dealing with slowed digestion since starting semaglutide? I'm about two months in, and things just weren't moving as smoothly. I started adding a fiber supplement to my morning routine with my meds, and it's been a total game changer. Everything's back on track, and I actually feel fuller longer too.
 
Thank you for your contribution to the community!

Please remember our community guidelines. We strictly prohibit discussions about non-FDA approved semaglutide formulations, as well as the sale or solicitation of any medication, including through private messages. Do not engage with individuals offering such services, as they are not endorsed by this forum.

For newcomers, we recommend reviewing our .
 
Totally agree! Fiber plus drinking enough water has been essential for me. My telehealth doc at Zappy Health actually suggested increasing my fiber intake early on, and it's helped a ton with any tummy troubles.
 
I've found fiber to be a real lifesaver too. Added it to my daily routine around week four when things got sluggish, and it cleared up the constipation in just a few days. It also seems to help keep my blood sugar more stable and keeps me feeling satisfied until lunchtime, which cuts down on snacking. It's easy to forget to prioritize fiber when your appetite is suppressed so I rely on reminders to hit my daily goal.
 
Med-Happy said:
It's easy to forget to prioritize fiber when your appetite is suppressed so I rely on reminders to hit my daily goal.
So true! I've been making smoothies with chia seeds to sneak in extra fiber.
 
If things get really backed up, senna can really help on occasion. It's relatively gentle and you can get it almost anywhere.
 
Prunes are definitely worth a try! They're a natural source of fiber and can help keep things moving. Just don't overdo it!
 
Sun fiber is the one that consistently shows up in GLP-1 constipation protocols - it's partially hydrolyzed guar gum, which is gentler on the GI system than inulin-based fibers that can cause gas. Electrolytes plus water is doing the real mechanical work alongside it.
 
There's a sparkling drink brand that works great for hitting fiber goals, packs about six grams per can. Tastes genuinely good while delivering fiber too!
 
Down roughly 20 pounds so far. One thing that's really shifted is my bathroom routine. Won't get too into detail, but I used to run like clockwork, twice daily basically forever. On semaglutide now that's dropped to every other day. Started adding a fiber supplement to compensate. That said, plenty of good side effects showing up outside the weight itself. Sleeping better, and my wife confirms the snoring's basically stopped. My ankles used to swell noticeably, bad enough I'd only wear pants to hide it. A few weeks into the injections and I can actually see my ankle bones again. Seems like it's genuinely helping circulation and inflammation.
 
Been going through some of the research connecting GLP-1s to nutrition, and low fiber intake keeps showing up as a major factor behind constipation and other bowel changes people report. Obviously a smaller overall food intake combined with the medication slowing gut motility could both be contributing to what you're seeing.

Did things improve once you added that fiber supplement? Do you have a rough sense of how much fiber you're actually taking in daily? Wondering if you're still falling short given how much less you're eating overall.
 
Thanks, and yeah, you're probably right. Going to try adding more resistance training plus a higher protein intake. Semaglutide made it almost too easy in the beginning, food choices barely mattered and the pounds still fell off. Bloating's a constant issue lately though, which isn't helping matters. Really just hoping to feel decent again soon.
 
Back
Top