My first meal on Mounjaro and I actually felt satisfied - is this normal?

Hong Kong Yanpep International

HikingMama_NC

Well-known member
Been a bigger guy for most of life, currently 33. A sweet tooth that never seemed to quit showed up even in childhood, and stopping partway through a meal just never felt possible. On top of that, neurodivergence with alexithymia means hunger cues have never come through clearly either.

This morning brought the very first shot. Dinner got cooked up like any other night, and then something genuinely wild happened, eating stopped halfway through because the body actually flagged being full. Pretty sure nothing like that has ever happened before. Stranger still, no pull toward sugar afterward at all. Just... content.

Does everyone else experience it this way too? Still genuinely stunned it kicked in this quickly, a little in disbelief honestly. Anyone else had a first shot go this way?
 
Hi! Took my first shot this past Friday. Was incredibly nervous too! Barely felt the needle at all. Saturday brought some nausea, a headache, and heavy fatigue, ended up napping twice. Felt exactly like a mild hangover. Eating and appetite stayed pretty normal though. Sunday was back to normal, just tired, eating fine. Today, Monday, still feeling that tiredness but skipped breakfast entirely, just had coffee. Eating lunch right now and stopped halfway through feeling genuinely satisfied. Really wanted to finish it out of pure habit but held back. Going well so far! Good luck to you!
 
My experience started slow, didn't see meaningful loss until reaching 2mg

The shift in how I ate happened gradually and caught me off guard. This medication reshaped what I actually wanted to eat as the months went on. Beyond quieting the mental chatter around eating, I noticed I became less impulsive too, actually able to consider what my body genuinely craved.

Fast forward, no more relying on the one dish I could stomach for months, now soup's my go-to instead.

I lean toward protein, healthy fats, and generous fiber. When something sweet calls to me, it's usually dark chocolate or a homemade pudding.

None of this happened fast! Feels like so many people expect instant results from these medications, when really it's meant to be a lifelong commitment.

So ease into it. Stay patient, give it time. I'm 50 lbs lighter after a year and a half, and as someone who's binged and yo-yo dieted since childhood, that's a genuinely profound win.
 
This medication is a tool, not some magic fix. It slows digestion and stomach emptying and boosts feelings of fullness. For some people it also wipes out what gets called food noise, that constant pull toward eating or overeating, tied to the brain regions it works through, which also explains why plenty of people report losing interest in alcohol or other addictive dopamine-driven habits like impulse shopping.

Personally there's no way I could eat anywhere near what I used to before starting this. Used to put away huge amounts of food and still feel a bit peckish after. Now portions are way smaller and I'm genuinely satisfied. Overeat now and you'll just end up bloated and miserable, learned that the hard way early on.

This stuff really needs pairing with better eating habits, more fiber and protein, along with actual movement.
When I carried a lot more weight, exercise was genuinely painful and I dealt with plantar fasciitis too, once a good chunk of weight came off that resolved and I actually want to walk or hit the gym now. Used to be anything but comfortable.
 
Back
Top