Smart Scales for Water Weight?

Hong Kong Yanpep International
the 2-3 liters daily is practical guidance and the one most people on GLP-1 fall short of without realizing it - the thirst signal gets disrupted on the medication and drinking to actual thirst keeps most people under target. setting a schedule or using marked bottles works better than relying on the thirst signal during the adjustment period
 
The creatine water retention point is worth knowing before starting it alongside GLP-1 - the 3-5 lb scale increase in the first weeks is real and not fat, it is intramuscular water storage from the osmotic effect of creatine in muscle tissue. Smart scales will often misread this as fat gain which adds confusion. Setting expectations before starting and tracking how clothes fit alongside the scale number prevents the kind of panic that causes people to stop creatine too soon
 
Given the daily weigh-ins already happening, ever thought about logging those numbers daily too? Really changes how the trend line reads and helps keep everything in perspective.
 
Uses a particular smart scale companion app, paired with an affordable smart scale running around 25 dollars. Automatically logs everything straight to the phone.
 
For what it's worth, smart scales do track body fat percentage and muscle mass. Not entirely sure how precise those readings actually are though.
 
Weigh myself every couple days, and my scale syncs to a phone app that also tracks glucose since both devices connect via cellular. Once weekly just doesn't feel like enough data for me.
 
Have one at home and my provider uses the same type during my six week check-ins. Don't put much stock in the exact numbers being precise, but the longer term pattern is what actually matters.
 
Hey, it really depends on where you're at in your own journey. For me, tracking weight, doses, and meals makes sense, mainly to check what I'm eating, how much, and whether I'm getting enough nutrients overall. Other people find tracking water intake helpful too since it's easy to forget drinking enough, and some like taking progress photos along the way.

Having worked on a GLP-1 tracking app myself, I can say most people end up focusing mainly on weight and dosing.
 
Some of this has come up already, BUT I want to weigh in here too because it matters so much for anyone reading this (and let's assume none of us are the exception):

Weight loss fundamentally requires burning more calories than you take in.

The fifth compound and similar drugs work so well for shedding pounds because they naturally curb how much we want to eat. Everyone's nutritional needs will differ based on goals and starting point though, so I'd suggest searching for a TDEE calculator online to figure out roughly where your current versus target intake should sit.

From there, build a moderate shortfall (or surplus, depending on your goal) off your current intake and watch the pounds come off, typically expect roughly half a pound to two pounds weekly with accurate tracking (yes, a kitchen scale genuinely helps, no, deficits beyond 500 aren't worthwhile).

Extra credit if you add strength training and track macros closely, protein especially, to sidestep ending up 'skinny-fat'

I'm small-framed (5ft) and went from 135 pounds down to 105 on the second compound over the span of a year, though the real momentum only started around month three once I began tracking calories.
 
Totally get where you're coming from. Honestly, everything you've put into this is obviously showing results! The number on a regular scale really only tells part of the story. Ever looked into getting one that breaks down muscle mass, fat percentage, hydration, that sort of thing? Worth grabbing one if you haven't, gives you a much fuller picture than weight alone. I've got one myself and it's genuinely made a difference in seeing what's actually happening.
 
Don't put much stock in criticism from people who've never dealt with disordered thinking firsthand. I've got a history of an eating disorder and compulsive exercise myself, so using this medication in a way that stays healthy takes real care on my part. I only step on the scale once a week at most, and I'll push that weigh-in back if I'm feeling bloated so I don't spiral over water retention or digestive swings that don't actually mean anything. Right now I'm actually staying off the scale entirely since I got uncomfortably close to underweight territory. Caught myself thinking something genuinely concerning, so these days I lean entirely on food noise as my compass while tapering the dose down. There's really no version of calorie counting I could do safely on this, so I stick to watching protein, whole foods, and sugar instead. Same as you, how my clothes fit tells me everything I need to know.

Honestly not sure why you're logging an estimated weight in your tracking app when it doesn't actually require that field to function, but if it's serving you in a healthy way, stick with whatever's working. What does your therapist say about that piece, by the way?
 
Back
Top